HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHANTELLE!

She would be 42 years old today.

For the past 2 years, on this day I have had the same dream and vision. It's the vision of the last "Happy Birthday" phone call I gave her. I can see myself walking down Cascade Road talking on my cell phone to her. I am walking down the boulvard to the church for Drama rehearsal. Big grin on my face because I am on the phone with my big sister. I always enjoyed talking on the phone with her because she always knew how to make me laugh or smile when I really didn't feel like it. She just had that effect on me. I miss that!
Anyway, I am talking on the phone with her while I walked... And I do the ghetto redition of Steve Wonders "Happy Birthday." 'Cause that's how I do! And I started to joke with her about her age. She said she was 25 years old and I joked her about that being humanly immpossible since she was 15 years older than me and I was currently 25 years old and that a few months earlier our daddy stated he was only 23. Not possible because he was 36 when I was born. Okay, anyway... We laugh and joke and then we start to talk about her moving and I told her how I really wish she would move up here (to ATL) with me. The conversation ends shortly after that with an "I love you and talk to you later."


But, 14 short days later she got another call... and the one just won't go to voicemail. Moments like the one I just described mean a whole lot more now than they did back when they happened. These kinds of moments are the ones that I have no choice but to hold on to when I started to miss her phyiscal presence in my life. I can recall that she was the one there after just about every important milestone in my life. My grandmother's funeral, she got me dressed. The day I became a woman, she sat down and explain the "changes" to me. After all my heart breaks, she bought the chocolate, held me close while I cried and let me cry myself to sleep in her bed. After I spent my birthday at my grandfather's funeral, she let me lay my head in her lap for the 8 hour ride from Albany, GA to Deerfield, FL. When I was a kid, she would braid me and Toya's hair and put like a million beads in it. (Man, thought we had it going on with those beads dangling from our braids.) This list could go on. I spent so much time with my sisters that by the time everything happened in my life, well, let's just say Blondie and Chantelle (my sisters) walked me through life.

The one that brings a tear to my eye is this one... when I found out that my bestfriend and big sister has passed... I believe it was her presence that held me close and held me tight and told me that everything was going to be okay. She helped me to overcome her passing. She helped me through the grief, pain, and depression of losing a piece of me...

Happy 42th Birthday, Chantelle!
Love Always,Your Baby Sister

Comments

Popular Posts