When Did You Fall In Love with Gospel Music?

This blog is a sequel to my blog October, 2007 on Hip-Hop(When Did You Fall in Love with Hip-Hop?). This time I took a poll and I got some outside influence on when some great minds fell in love with Gospel music. The answers were fun to read. Anyway here we go...

Falling in love with Gospel music is something that happened to me and it changed my outlook on life. Yeah, me and him have had our moments when we weren't speaking or didn't agree with each other. What relationship doesn't have a little push and pull in it, huh?

Well, we finally came to a moment in time when we both realized that there is no turning back we were bond by the soul, together forever. A union formed and maintained by God.

Music connects with the soul but Gospel music connects on a much deeper level that any other genre of music, it connects with your spirit. It is a genre of music that all people can connect with because it speaks of life experienced or aspired by EVERYONE. He will tell you not only what you want to hear, but what you need to hear. He's a great companion, ain't he?

Most have said that they fell in love with Gospel music while in high school. What is it about high school that causes people to fall in love, huh? The longing desire to be fulfilled with an awesome presence, the emptiness that doesn't seem to be filled by any other aspect of your life... but then you meet him and he introduces you to a whole new world and brings you closer to a great and more powerful presence. He is there to help you build upon a relationship, help strengthen a relationship. He, Gospel music, shows you things, allows you to experience things you have never experienced before. He becomes your bridge over trouble waters, okay maybe not, but when he sings you react like you can only react when you sings. Your relationship is unique and special. **BRAIN FREEZE HOLD ON!**

"Precious Lord take my hand" by Mahalia Jackson was my grandmother's favorite song. Whenever I hear the song or think about my grandmother, the two are one in the same to me now. They bring to a place of peace. This is ultimately what happens when me and him together, there is a calming peace. The need to have this peace. The need to have this peace is what drew me to him in the first place.

*singing*
"Amazing Grace how sweet the sound..."

"Precious Lord take my hand..."
"How Great Thou art..."
"Great is Thy Faithfulness..."
even -
"Jesus loves me this I know..." & "Father Abraham had many sons..."
*singing*

I think the stage has been set and the curtain drawn as the relationship between me and one of my life's passions. But I don't think I answered the question. "When did I fall in love with Gospel Music?"
Okay here's my answer...

I was 15 years old and my Mommy was on a cruise to the Bahamas with my older sisters, so my Daddy starting making us to to church with him. Boy I really dreaded going at first, to his church. First of all it was a very small ol' skool traditional baptist church (with no band) that had a congregation of about 50 ppl (on a good day). But the one thing, rather to the best thing about this church was the music, oh sorry, the praise & worship. I looked forward to it every Sunday, it was the only thing I understood. I sang my first "church" solo, rather it was a duo there. It was acapella (no band). It was during Kirk Franklin's early years, the purple CD, "Kirk Franklin and the Family - Silver & Gold." Can you imagine me singing a lead? Yeah, that's probably won't be happening again - EVER - THANK YOU!
Anyway, I was filled at that moment and you know singing songs like that makes you analyze your actions.
During high school, Gospel music left its footprints on my soul. It was during high school while attending Cathedral Church of God (Deerfield Beach, FL) that the musical direction of Gospel music was laid upon me. I was fallin' in love... *smile* And so it was there we, him and I, become one. We had a time when I pulled away from him while in college (freshmen, sophomore year) but I always came back to him and he was always there to welcome me back.
I think this brings up to current and where I am now! Nothing else musical can make me feel like he makes me feel. Gospel music help strengthen me and gave me a life outside of the one I was drowning in. Gospel music was my compass, helping find a road back home. Well I'm home again, been back for a while and I'm lovin' every minute.


... just listen ---!

(written July 9, 2008 @ 5:00pm)

Comments

  1. I been in love with Gospel Music for all of my life. I believe I came out singing and rocking. My mom was my first choir director and my older sister was always the soloist. My mom wrote a poem that made a prediction that one of her twins would sing "hi and the other sing "low". In high school my choir director at church switch me to the alto section and kept my twin in the soprano section, so ever since I been sings 1st Alto. Anyway I always notice no matter if I know the song or not I am always swaying to the music like a little old lady. I can't control it. I love Gospel music traditional and contemporary. I love the hymns and all too. I think my mom song to me and my sister when we were in the womb.

    Welll that all
    TATA
    The Diva

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts